Barbara Hananh Grufferman, author of the Best of Everything after 50, shares her tips on how to to be the best after 50
• Sleep seven to eight hours a night.
• Floss and brush teeth several times a day.
• Eat healthy foods, low in saturated fats.
• Exercise, and keep your waist under 35?in or at less than half your height.
• Listen to your body and look for changes.
• Eat processed foods, or too much salt.
• Drink more than seven alcoholic drinks a week.
• Use a tanning booth or spend time in the sun without sunscreen or a hat.
• Keep excess weight.
• Be sedentary.
• Have unsafe sex.
• Ignore changes in your body.
• Eat more vegetables and grains.
• Eat throughout the day (every few hours).
• Eat breakfast every day.
• Drink lots of water.
• Keep an eye on portion sizes.
• Allow yourself treats. Just continue with your healthy eating plan afterwards.
EXERCISE: THE RUN/WALK PROGRAMME
Monday — Run/walk for 45 minutes or more.
Tuesday — walk as much as possible, or aerobic activity such as tennis, cycling, swimming or a gym workout, but no running.
Wednesday — run/walk for 45 minutes.
Thursday — the same as Tuesday.
Friday — the same as Tuesday.
Saturday — run/walk for 60 to 90 minutes.
Sunday — the same as Tuesday.
• When it comes to make-up, less is more.
• Have a basic five-munte beauty regime.
• Highlight three key areas — under the brows, on top of the cheekbones, and inside the ¬corner of the eyes.
• Keep your eyeliner line very thin.
• Use only black mascara, on top lashes.
• Use a neutral eye shadow.
• Groom your eyebrows.
• Apply blusher closer to your cheekbones.
• Use lip liner to keep lip colour from spreading.
Years of blow-drying, ironing, highlighting and washing it every day had not done my hair any favours. First, I gave up the hairdryer.
¬Secondly, I shampooed my hair only twice a week, using just water and conditioner on the other days.
Thirdly, age is meaningless when it comes to hair length. Fourthly, don’t get stuck in a hair rut. It’s important to look modern. Finally, experiment with going grey.
FASHION FOR THE OVER-50s
• Find well-fitting, waist-defining clothes.
• Choose longer-lasting ¬quality fabrics.
• Don’t be afraid of the High Street for basics.
• Balance the fit of your clothes. Don’t wear tight with tight or loose with loose.
• Prints can be more ageing than solid colours.
• Avoid lace.
• Consider your skirt length — middle of the knee is right for this age.
• Avoid anything ruffly, puffy or girly.
• Think cardigan before jacket.
• Keep your shoes looking good.
• Invest in a few great bags.
The Best of Everything After 50 The Expert’s Guide to Sex, Health, Money And More, by Barbara Hannah Grufferman, is published by Running Press for £6.99. For more information log on to bestofeverythingafter50.com
Article originally appeared in the Daily Mail