Following on from her tips on yoga at work- Ntathu helps us all achieve a good night’s sleep!
To get a good night’s sleep, it is essential you unwind and calm your thoughts before you sleep.
Just before you go to bed, take a few minutes to gift yourself this simple 9 Step Self Massage.
1. Give yourself a hand and finger massage. Gently massage your fingers and thumbs. Be very present and really enjoy the feeling of touching your hands. If you have a favourite hand cream or even warm olive oil, use it to add a bit of luxury to your massage.
2. Rub your palms vigorously together for 30 seconds. Place your warmed palms over your face with your fingers on your forehead and heels of your hands on your chin. Close your eyes, lower your shoulders and take 3-5 deep breaths in and out through your nose
3. Slowly lower your hands and rest your fingertips on your temples. Gently press your finger tips into your temple as you continue to breathe deeply in and out through your nose.
4. Walk your fingers gently up and down the bridge of your nose. Focus on deep breathing as you do so.
5. Open and close your mouth and make a long aah, ooh, eee, and uu sound. Making small circles, gently rub your index and middle finger under your chin and round your mouth.
6. Stroke under your chin and throat area using the back of your hand.
7. Walk your fingers around your ears, gently tugging and pulling your ear lobes.
8. Place one hand on your forehead and gently alternate stroke up your forehead from the bridge of your nose to your hairline and over your head. Close your eyes and focus on taking several deep breaths as you do this.
9. Return your hands to your lap and sit enjoy. Enjoy the feelings of calm and peace flow over you.
As you can see, with a little bit of spontaneity, a dose of patience and goodwill it is possible to find a few moments, when you wake up, at work or even before bedtime to slip in a simple yoga and relaxation programme to help you release tension and worry and feel calm and peaceful.
Whichever relaxation sequence appeals to you, use it as many times as you can during your day, see how it goes then drop me a line to let me know how you are getting on.
Photo Credit: Photostock