There is a constant feeling that most retailers are choosing to ignore women over 50 when it comes to clothes. There seems to be a lack of interest in listening to what women of our age really want to see in the high street. It seems ridiculous, given the fact that more than 11.4 million women in the UK are over 50 ( more one third of the female population and almost 40% of the female adult population ) that retailers feel we should be ignored. We should be seen and our views heard!
Dresses with sleeves are one element, but what other aspects should retailers be taking into account if they want to encourage we fabulous women over 50 to part with our money ?
What women over 50 say they want from clothes retailers
Discussions on twitter and facebook on this very subject highlighted the following:
- More attention to dress length – knee length or just below seemed to be the consensus, with concerns that flared midi length could look frumpy, while too short is not a flattering look.
- Sleeves all year round – including summer
- More structure for the upper body
- More built in or ‘secret’support
- More high quality natural fabrics
- More generously cut sleeves for the upper arms
- More forgiving waists (but not necessarily elasticated!)
- Better dart placement
- Wider straps/shoulders on sleeveless dresses to cover bra straps.
- More style – less frump
Please add your thoughts to the comments!
If you would like to add what you would like to see more (and less of) in the comments below, I will approach retailers with the full list – if we voice our concerns constructively we may find one or two prepared to listen!
11.4 million of us deserve to be heard!