Here Louise shares with us her top 10 tips for staying younger for longer.
Louise’s top ten anti ageing skin tips:
1. Baz Luhrmann was right when he told us to ‘Wear sunscreen’. It’s my number one tip when it comes to combating ageing skin since UV rays account for a whopping 80% of that extrinsic ageing process. Look for a broad spectrum product that also contains the cell protector Vitamin E and wear everyday.
2. Eat your greens…and broccoli, spinach, berries, peppers, raw nuts and seeds. I’m an advocate for treating the skin from the inside as well as the outside and these are just some of natures best anti oxidants, free radical fighting foods.
3. Lift the lid on a product packed with ingredients like; Vitamin A, vitamin C, peptides, super oxide dismutase and AHA’s. I use a supercharged cosmeceutical level of ingredients for my clients since one of the functions of the skin is to absorb.
4. Workout your face not just your body….there are 98 facial muscles all of which, if exercised in the correct way regularly can maintain definition and tone. I give my clients the low down on how to gain a skinny chin, plump cheeks and the perfect pout.
5. Stop Smoking!!! Flooding your body with toxins will rapidly increase the harmful effects of Free radicals, the thieves of youth. Then there are the faces that you contort when drawing on that cigarette which gives rise to those tell tale smokers lines around the eyes and mouth.
6. Drink Green and White tea. These teas are packed with high levels of Polyphenols which protect the skin cells from further damage. Try supplementing your usual builders brew 2-4 times a day.
Sleep deprivation and ageing skin
7. Sleep!! Recent studies from the University Of Pennsylvania School Of Medicine, has shown that sleep deprivation plays an integral part in skin ageing due to the lack of growth hormone production.
8. Exercising your body (as well as your face) will increase energy levels, de stress and oxygenate your skin flooding it with fresh nutrients and taking away harmful toxins. Mix it up with some short cardio bursts and Pilates and/or Yoga.
9. Stress less. Over time your body will release hormones that are conducive to assisting in the ageing process with lines and wrinkles becoming etched onto the face. Those worry lines could become a permanent fixture.
10. Smile it uses less muscles than if you frown and helps to radiate a sense of positive well being. Smile lines are far more attractive than frown lines.
Copyright Louise Thomas-Minns 2011 www.uandyourskin.co.uk