You may be a woman who knows how much hell your hormones can wreak, or, you might be one of the lucky few who doesn’t understand what all the fuss is about – but either way learning a bit more about your hormones is a wise investment of your time.
A Few Myths Dispelled
1. Hormones are women’s problems
– When you consider that hormone health affects men and women in areas such as: weight management, heart disease, immunity, bone health, energy levels as well as areas such as depression and anxiety, you begin to realise that hormone health is fundamental for both sexes.
2. A prescription for HRT will sort out any menopausal problems
– There has been a great deal of information in the media and filtering through family doctors about the risks of HRT and I’m not going to repeat all that here … but did you know that HRT will also cause hormonal imbalances that can have significant impacts on your general health? Issues such as: raising your risk of insulin resistance or pre-diabetes; causing weight gain by interfering with thyroid hormone availability; and, giving you high estrogen levels that can be linked with increased blood pressure, can all be because of HRT.
Men should also be wary of partners on HRT. If you use an estrogen- based vaginal cream for dryness please realise that your man can absorb it too and this will cause him problems! One poor man I heard about had levels so high that it had caused his member to shrink! Your man should wear a condom if you use an estrogen-based cream internally.
3 Hormones only affect you in the menopause
– One of the most common hormonal problems for women of reproductive age is cystic ovaries, which can interfere with fertility, weight management and give you emotional problems such as depression and irritability. Cystic ovaries are often not recognised and not treated by medicine yet hormone balance can be achieved gently and naturally without the use of drugs that only mask the problem.
If this information has piqued your interest to find out more about your hormones please download my free report, which has a quick and simple hormone health quiz. You can learn quite a lot about yourself, not least how widely your hormones can affect you physically, mentally and emotionally. You can also learn more about my story, as I’m not just a doctor of natural health, I walk my talk too! In 2001 I was diagnosed with invasive breast cancer, I chose to say no to the drugs and radiotherapy in favour of a natural path. I work with women around the world who choose to do the same, but you don’t have to wait for such a big wake up call to make you take notice of your hormones and your Self because you can learn that hormone health really is the basis of a great sense of well-being that empowers you to a better life. Be well and happy with confidence.
Dr Alyssa is a leading hormone health specialist working with clients internationally. She is the hormone expert for the CMA (Complementary Medical Association), is on the Advisory Panel for Thyroid UK and has many published articles. See her website for more information – www.alyssaburns-hill.com