As soon the sunny weather starts I dread the thought of exposing my pasty white legs to the world! Fake tans have come on in leaps and bounds since I first started using in my teens, but just how do we acieve that streak free perfect looking tan? Especially if we want a more subtle looking tan once we reach our fifties.
I asked ‘Famous Dave’ how we can achieve a natural looking streak free tan.
Tips For Applying Fake Tan
How do you prep the skin for self tanner?
Always exfoliate before applying a self tanner. The purpose of exfoliating is to remove the layer of dead skin cells that would otherwise flake off naturally and unevenly, taking your new tan with them. Not exfoliating prior to applying a self tanning product often leads to a patchy tan, which is easily avoided by exfoliating first. A gritty but gentle exfoliator such as Famous Dave’s Body Buffer – which is made using ground walnut husks – will leave your skin smooth and polished and help your tan last longer and fade evenly.
You should also always wax or shave at least 24 hours prior to tanning, as this allows the skin to calm down and settle before any self tanning products are applied.
Using a Self Tanning Mitt is the sure way to achieve an even and streak-free tan every time. It saves getting self tan on your hands and reduces any mess, also making tanning the backs of your hands and your feet, ankles, elbows, and knees easy.
You can also buy Self Tan Back Applicators ( I do one) which is a self tan accessory that lets you apply self tan products to the difficult to reach areas of your back, quickly and evenly.
How to make a tan last
Moisturise daily to keep the skin hydrated. Once the tan starts to fade naturally, top it up using a daily moisturising lotion with a hint of self tan. This works both as a moisturiser to keep the skin supple and as a tan extender to help maintain the sun-kissed glow.
Best way for a 50+ woman to apply fake tan:
It’s always important to exfoliate well prior to tanning, as this will scrub away any dead skin cells on the surface of the skin helping to ensure even coverage and a longer-lasting tan. Choose a self tanning product that has plenty of moisturising properties so that the skin doesn’t dry out whilst developing in colour. If you want a naturally bronzed look, go for a product that gives you a light tan – you can always apply another layer in 24 hours if you want to go darker. Moisturise daily to help the tan last longer and fade evenly.
Recommend best fake tan for the fabulous mature lady:
Famous Dave’s Gradual 10 (£17.99 Boots) is perfect to give you that natural sun-kissed look without going too dark. It’s a very easy to apply product, similar to a moisturiser, that dries to the touch almost instantly, meaning there’s no stickiness and you can get dressed straight away. Famous Dave’s Gradual 10 is loaded with natural active ingredients, anti oxidants and organic oils to moisturise and nourish the skin. It will also help improve skin elasticity and firmness as well as delay the effects of ageing thanks to the addition of organic Rosehip Oil, organic Aloe Vera, Vitamins A & E and organic cocoa butter.
To apply a self tan flawlessly, follow Famous Dave’s 12 Tips for the Perfect Tan:
1. Wax/shave at least 24 hours prior to application to avoid irritation.
2. Exfoliate well for the smoothest coverage. Apply on clean, dry skin.
3. Do not apply any lotions, creams or deodorants to the skin before use.
4. Protect eyebrows & eyelashes and other areas you do not wish to tan with a barrier cream (i.e. a rich moisturiser).
5. Always wear gloves, or apply using a tanning mitt.
6. Blend evenly, paying special attention to elbows, knees, ankles, neck, fingers, toes etc (use a barrier cream where necessary).
7. Allow to dry for at least 5 minutes before getting dressed.
8. Wear dark, loose-fitting clothes after tanning.
9. Avoid physical activity after applying the product.
10. Do not bathe or shower for at least 12 hours.
11. Re-apply the following day for a darker tan.
12. Moisturise daily and exfoliate every 3-4 days to ensure your tan lasts longer and wears smoothly and evenly
Remember, no self tanner will streak if it is applied evenly!
The full range of Famous Dave Self-Tanning Products are available from Boots.com
Photo credit: Africa