Article by Ceri Wheeldon
Looking fab over 50 is about looking your best, not looking younger. I’m often approached by women who say they don’t want to dress like their mothers, but are equally uncomfortable buying the same clothes as their daughters. ” where can I buy clothes to wear once I reach my 50s?
So what is the answer when it comes to looking stylish over 50. Looking good over 50 is all about redefining your own style.
- Mix quality investment pieces and with cheaper trend led pieces just to keep you looking fab and not frumpy.
- Add colour!
Pick a celebrity style icon
- If you have lost confidence in what suits you, pick a style icon. There are many women in the public eye who have found the way to dress fabulously and stylishly over 50. Pick someone who has a similar bodyshape and colouring to you. Are you a fan of Lorraine Kelly’s style? If so, when you go shopping have an image of Lorraine in mind. When you go shopping think about what would look good on her , and try on those items. Helen Mirren, Carol Vorderman, whoever you choose as your choose as your celebrity style guide apply the same principle to your shopping trip.
- Still not sure about what to try on and buy? Many large department stores offer a personal shopping service. Some are free while others charge a nominal fee. It’s a good way to be encouraged to try clothes you would otherwise dismiss, but don’t feel pressured to buy straight away. You can always take time to think about it and come back later.
- There are many personal stylists and shoppers – always ask to speak to a couple of existing clients for references – make sure they are paying clients and not personal friends.
- Some of the larger shopping centres organise style events at the start of each season where they showcase the latest fashions sold by all the stores in the centre, it’s a good way to get a sense of styles and colours that are available. It may also help you see which stores you thought of as being ‘too young’ in fact have clothes which would flatter and fit over 50!
- Who do you know personally who always looks ‘just right’. Ask where they shop, better still arrange a shopping date with them.
- Whatever your personal style, it is essential that you invest in quality well fitted underwear. Wearing the right bra can make all the difference to how a dress or jacket hangs, and can contribute to a more youthful looking figure. Don’t be afraid of shapewear. Its moved on in leaps and bounds in recent years!
We have lots of style tips on the Fabafterfifty website. You can wear most things in your 50s, from jeans to dresses. Its a question of creating your style that’s unique to you.
Watch out for our style over 50 video tips launching soon. It’s easy to look stylish and vibrant over 50 and not mutton dressed as lamb!
Photo credit: salvatore vuono