With the Royal Baby’s arrival imminent, I’m sure Carole Middleton, like many other soon to be grandmothers is looking forward to the new arrival and the new stage in her life. I don’t suppose she will be called upon to help with the ironing, or volunteer to wait in for deliveries, but it seems, according to new survey, that many families could manage if grandparents did not step in to help- both physically and financially.
The average mum calls in 254 favours from nan and granddad every year, the study by McCarthy and Stone has revealed. Researchers found grandmothers get called upon for everything from taking the kids to dentist, baking cakes for the school fête and walking the dog.
Although 38% of mums do worry that they might be asking the grandparents to help too much, when taking age and health into consideration, 25% of parents say they could not afford to pay someone to care for their children (on average it would amount to £120.41 per week, or the equivalent of £6,261 every year and 40% still rely on cash handouts from the grandparents to help make ends meet)
Top 20 Most requested grandparent jobs
1. Babysitting when we’re on nights out
2. Childcare if one of the kids is ill
3. Babysitting in the school holidays
4. Painting and decorating
5. Babysitting if we are away with work
6. Cooking meals on busy days
7. Attend kids’ school events
8. Waiting in for a delivery
9. Cutting the grass
10. Collecting a parcel for you
11. Small DIY jobs i.e. change light-bulbs, replace fuses
12. Cleaning the house
13. Putting up pictures, mirrors shelves
14. Car maintenance
15. Generally tidying-up
16. Cooking cakes for school fêtes
18. Washing the families clothes
20. Tidy the garden
You can’t place a price on cuddles from grandparents though- they’re priceless!