Bless you Gentle Reader and welcome to another new week and Monday’s Moment of Calm. In today’s post, we offer you three simple relax and unwind Chair Yoga poses you can slip into your evening routine to help you relieve stress and “switch off” after a busy day, because this helps to clear your mind and get you get ready for a peaceful night’s sleep.
Today is a Bank Holiday in the UK and traditionally marks the end of the care-free summer as families start to prepare for the new academic term ahead. It’s a time of change and with change often comes confusion and anxiety as you strive to retain harmony and balance whilst acknowledging the spontaneity of the moment. In the busyness of the day, it is often hard to find time to rest and relax and, at night time, you are often so wired your brain cant switch off.
How To Calm Your Mind After a Busy Day
To calm you mind before you go to bed and to get a peaceful night’s sleep, practice these three simple Chair Yoga poses before you go to bed. You can do them sitting down on a chair or even sitting on the side of your bed. They will help you unwind and ease the cares and worries of the day from your shoulders. As usual, remember to listen to your body and be gentle as you stretch. Any sigh of discomfort, please stop and if necessary, consult your GP.
Relax and Unwind Chair Yoga Pose #1: Breathe
- Find a quiet spot, maybe at the dining table when the dishes have been cleared away and everyone else watching TV!
- Sit comfortable on your dining table chair, lower your shoulders, open your mouth slightly and relax your jaw. Make sure your feet are resting firmly on the floor, toes pointing forward.
- Take a few moments to settle yourself and to tune into your everyday breath.
- Take a long steady breath in through your nose and slowly breathe out through your nose. Repeat 3 more times as it helps to calm your mind.
- Next, breathe in slowly for a count of three 1…2…3… and slowly breathe out for account of six 1…2…3…4…5…6….
- Repeat this sequence of breathing in for 1…2…3… and breathing out for 1…2…3…4…5…6… for 3-7 rounds.
- At the end of this exercise, return to your every day breath and spend a few more moments just observing your mind state.
Relax and Unwind Chair Yoga Pose #2: Seated Rag Doll Pose
- Still sitting on your chair, rest your hands on your lap and gently lengthen the back of your neck and lower your shoulders. Make sure your feet are flat on the floor, have your legs/knees hip distant apart and check to see your toes are pointing forwards.
- Take a steady breath in and as you breathe out, gently lower your upper body towards your thighs and let your head hang loosely; depending on your flexibility you may be able to rest your tummy on your thighs. Drop your arms loosely beside your body, shake and wriggle your shoulders and let yourself go all floppy, like a rag-doll.
- Take 3-7 deep breaths in and with each out breath let your body sway and be soft as you feel the tension ease from your neck and shoulders.
- Slowly return to an upright seated position and rest your hands on your lap. Take time to tune in and notice what you notice.
Relax and Unwind Chair Yoga Pose #3: Seated Backward Bend
- Sit comfortably on your chair, check your body position (spine straight, feet flat on the floor, toes pointing forwards, hands on thighs, lower your shoulders, slightly open and relax jaw)
- Breathe in and as you breathe out, gently lift your chest, lower your head back, chin in the air and softly arch backwards.
- Breathe deeply in and out through your nose 3-5 times, be mindful of the stretch across your chest as you can gently squeeze your shoulder blades together.
- Return your body back to an upright position.
To Sum Up:
Remember, taking time out of your schedule to stretch and relax your body is vital to your health and wellbeing. These three gentle Relax and Unwind Chair Yoga Poses – Breathing, the Rag Doll Stretch and Seated Backwards Bend are ideal to slip into your evening routine to help calm and quiet your mind and ease tension from your body – all of which will help you unwind and get ready for a peaceful night’s sleep.
Practice these three Chair Yoga poses tonight before you go to bed and tomorrow let us know you felt before and after doing the stretches. Share your experiences in the comment box and if you want more tips, let us know. Thank you.
And as usual, we encourage you to forward today’s post to your girlfriends to help them unwind after a hectic day.
Take special care and remember to practice these 3 easy Relax and Unwind Chair Yoga Poses tonight.