Article by Ntathu Allen
Blessings and hugs dear friends and, a warm welcome to new readers. Today’s Monday’s Moment of Calm is a short meditation you can practice when you wake up, to help you start your day on a positive and upbeat mode.
As you know “getting out of bed on the wrong side” leaves you feeling edgy, irritable and at odds with the world. Thus, it is essential, before you even get out of bed; you affirm and set your intentions for a positive, productive and most important of all, peaceful day. There will be many times during the day when things aren’t going as peaceful as you like, because of this, it is essential you take time first thing in the morning to remind yourself just how peaceful and calm life can be and carry that vibe with your throughout the day.
Waking Thought Meditation
Although this meditation is designed to be practiced in bed as you wake –up, you can practice it anytime during the day when you feel pushed, stressed and pulled in too many directions. It is easy to do and within two minutes you instantly feel refreshed and rebalanced. Practiced first thing in the morning, it helps you set your intention for the day and affirms your sense of self love.
- Lying on your back on your bed make sure you feel comfortable and your back is supported. If you suffer from lower back pain, this can be eased by having your legs resting straight out along the bed and placing a firm pillow underneath your knees, or you can rest the soles of your feet on your bed, knees up.
- Place your right hand on your upper chest (heart chakra) and your left hand on your lower abdomen (sacral chakra).
- Spend a few moments listening to all the sounds you can hear in the room, maybe a clock ticking, the central heating boiler burping, if it’s windy or raining sounds these elements make when they touch other surfaces.
- Gradually, turn your attention to your hands (still resting on your chest and belly) and take a slow steady breath in through your nose for a count of 1-2-3-4 and slowly exhale, through your nose 1-2-3-4. Repeat this 5-7 times.
- In your mind’s eye, start to imagine you are standing in front of an open doorway looking out onto a stunning landscape.
- With each breath, keep ‘looking’ at the view, feel the splendour and majestic beauty of the landscape filling you up.
- With each breath say to yourself “I am peace” as you hold the scene before you in your mind’s eye.
- Repeat the affirmation “I am peace” 5-7 times and when you are ready, bring your attention back to your hands resting on your chest and belly.
- Spend a few more moments listening to the sounds you can hear in your room, gradually open your eyes and return your hands back to your side.
You are now ready to start your day.
Practice the above Waking up Meditation for the next 3 days. You’ll be amazed at the difference it makes to your day.
To sum up, it is essential you spend the first few moments of your day in a state of calm and appreciation because it sets the tone and intention for the rest of your day. During the day, when you feel yourself stuck and gasping for air, take a few moments just to remind yourself to breathe and recall how you felt during and after your early morning guided meditation.
Remember to Share the Love
And finally, what other tips or suggestions can you offer our readers to help them start their day in a positive and peaceful frame of mind. We’d love you to share your suggestions in the comment box below. And as always forward the love by sharing this post on your fav social media site.
Continue to shine, breathe and be beautiful.
Image credit: Freedigitalphotos