Article by Ntathu Allen
“I open my heart to love in abundance, to forgive, to peace, patience and understanding”
Bless you gentle friends and welcome to today’s post, How To Open Your Heart To Inner Peace (and avoid being lonely!). One of the best ways to invite more moments of calm into your life is to let go of past hurts and fears of rejection and ‘Open Your Heart’.
What Does Open Your Heart Mean To You?
When you hear the phrase “open your heart”, what comes to mind?
For me, two images come to mind – the first one, someone going for open heart surgery to repair or replace a heart valve and the second, a moment by moment softening of the edges of your heart, a sense of letting go of past hurts and allowing magic to unfold.
I feel the two images are intimately linked and at the risk of appearing naive I would say a blocked heart, on an energetic level may also be a sign that in your personal life you are blocking your heart and holding onto past hurts and sense of injustice.
If you have ever lost someone close to you, gone through an acrimonious divorce or even fallen out with your closest friend, you’ll know how sad and heavy your heart feels when you relive what happened in your mind. Constantly replaying sad moments affects your energy and vitality and instead of feeling calm and productive you end up wasting precious moments stuck in the past and unable to see beyond the curtain of your thoughts.
How Do You Let-Go Of Past Hurts?
Learning to open your heart, to love and forgive yourself and others, to embrace the joys of living in the now and honouring your feelings -without becoming attached to the outcome of your thoughts, is the key to living a happy, calm and productive life. Having gone through a horrible, divorce and mourned the loss of my brother and cousin, I know “letting-go” and “ moving on” is easier said than done!
However, again through personal experience, the sense of relief and freedom in your mind as you allow the rawness of your pain to dissolve is immense and with time, frees you up to embrace and enjoy life in a deeper, more authentic way .
Here Is a short Guided Meditation to Open Your Heart
To help you open your heart, here is a simple guided meditation you can practice anytime you feel the gremlins coming in and you’re tempted to shut down, relive the pain and block your heart to life.
- First of all make sure you feel comfortable, if practical slip of your shoes and loosen any tight clothing. Set your phone timer for anything between 3-7 minutes.
- Sit on a chair, sit up straight, lower your shoulders and relax your jaw, have you feet hip distant apart, toes pointing forward. Rest your hands on your lap.
- Become aware of your everyday breath and spend a few moments tuning in and noticing what you notice about the way you breathe.
- Allow your breath to soften and naturally deepen as you focus on the movement of the breath flowing through your body.
- Gracefully, call to mind any situation or person which makes you feel sad and unhappy and spend a few more moments listening to your thoughts about this person/situation. Don’t censor your thoughts; just allow them to be as you reflect upon them. You may even “see” the person or situation being replayed in your mind’s eye like a recorded movie.
- Clench and unclench your hands and curl and stretch out your toes. Hunch your shoulders up to your ears and gently lower them. Close your eyes and bring your awareness to your heart centre. And take a long soft breath in through your nose and gently exhale, again through your nose. Repeat 3-5 times.
- Stay focused on your heart centre as you quietly whisper the words (or say aloud to yourself).
- “I open my heart to love in abundance, to forgive, to peace, patience and understanding.”
- Repeat this affirmation over and over again, let any feelings of sadness, sorrow, unhappiness or disappointment flow to the surface…just keep breathing and saying the words “I open my heart to love in abundance. to forgive, to peace, patience and understanding…”
- When you timer goes off, take a long steady exhalation and stay seated, listening to the sensations of the body. Give yourself a Big Hug and when ready re-engage with your day.
We know how hectic and full your life is and it is often easier just to stay stuck and carry on with the status quo. However, learning to enjoy inner peace, to fully embrace your goodness and inherent light, every now and then it is important to take a rain-check, tune in and see what is going on at a heart level and find a way to breathe through any areas of life which causes you to be sad and agitated.
Make it part of your daily routine to breathe deeply, to open your heart to inner peace and more moments of calm in your life.
If you know you are stuck and finding it hard to open your heart fully and let go of past hurts and situations, here are three ways you can easily slip today’s meditation into your daily schedule.
Why don’t you, starting from today, spend the next 5 days and
- Practice the above Open Your Heart meditation either when you wake up first thing in the morning or before going to bed.
- If you keep a journal, set your timer for 3-10 minutes and spend that time, quietly sitting down writing out the above affirmation “ I open my heart to love in abundance, to forgive, to peace, patience and understanding”
- Say the affirmation out loud to yourself when you wake up 5-7 times “I open my heart. I open my heart to love in abundance, to forgive, to peace, patience and understanding”
We hope you found today’s Moment of Calm meditation useful in helping you soften and strengthen your heart.
Which one of the three Take-Away Tips – meditation, journaling or saying the affirmations will you practice? As usual we’d love you to share your thoughts and reflections on the practice and you can do that quickly and easily in the comment box below. Thank you.
Stay blessed and thanks for taking your time to pause, reconnect with your breathe and Open Your Heart
Ps: Remember to click you favourite social media icon and share today’s post because we want all women over 50 to enjoy cartloads of moments of calm in their life!