Article by Judith Brady
Recent research claimed that once they hit 50 most women change their wardrobes and nearly half are terrified of wearing fashionable clothes as they think they have to start ‘dressing their age’.
I think there’s a lot more to it than that as many of us have all sorts of worries and concerns as we get older and our bodies start to change. It is very frustrating when your body has morphed into some alien being, you haven’t a clue what suits you and all the old rules about what you could or couldn’t wear at a certain age have been torn up!
Style concerns of women over 50
These are the concerns that I hear from my clients over and over again:
- I’m worried I’ll look like ‘mutton dressed as lamb’;
- I just don’t know what suits me anymore;
- I’m bored with my clothes but don’t know how to create my own style;
- I can’t find clothes to fit my hips, legs, tummy (insert your own word!);
- I feel dowdy and stuck in a rut but don’t know what to do about it;
- I never seem to have the right outfit for the occasion;
- I have loads of clothes but nothing to wear!
- I’m not sure how to put an outfit together;
- I don’t enjoy shopping anymore, it’s just frustrating;
- I feel fat and don’t know how to dress to look slimmer!
Do you share any these frustrations or have you got some of your own that you’d like to add to the list? We’d love to hear what you think .