Article by Ntathu Allen
Bless you dear friends and welcome to FabAfterFifty’s Monday ‘s Moment of Calm, a two minute guided meditation exercise to help you relax, regain your focus and sense of vitality. This easy guided meditation is especially useful when you feel scattered, struggle to focus and pulled in too many directions by family and work commitments.
Too Much To Do…?
If your desk is overflowing with piles of work, pens, computer paraphernalia, yellow post it notes and half completed lists of things to do and, you feel tired and too exhausted to carry on, then today’s Moment of Calm Meditation Break is just for you.
Treat Yourself To A Moment of Inner Peace And Calm
Take a break and practice this gentle two minutes guided meditation. At the end of the two minutes you will feel refreshed, energised and more able to relax and enjoy what you do.
Step One: Get Ready
1. Read the next few lines first of all to familiarise yourself with the practice.
2. Make yourself comfortable. Maybe slip-off your shoes, uncross your legs and ankles and do a few gentle stretches, for example, interlock your fingers, turn your hands outwards, and bring your arms straight up and over your head (or as high as you feel comfortable, look up and stretch your hands to the ceiling. Notice the gentle stretching and lengthening of your spine. Repeat this stretch 2-4 times.
3. Set a timer for two minutes, re-read the meditation, relax and enjoy.
Step Two: Relax
1. Look around your room and choose the first everyday object your eyes settle on, for example a pen, a book, a cup.
2. Take a moment to take a long steady breath in through your nose and gently bring your attention to your everyday breath as you slowly breathe out through your nose. Repeat 2-4 times.
3. Return your attention to your chosen object and gaze at the object, taking in as much detail of the object as you can. For example, notice the shade of the objects, its shape and size.
4. Close your eyes and return your awareness to your everyday breath, paying attention to the rising and falling of your belly as you breathe in through your nose …1…2…3…. and breathe out through your nose 1…2…3…
5. Open your eyes and softly zone in and gaze at your object. Keep breathing and keep your eyes softly focused on the object….inhale 1…2…3 and exhale 1…2…3…
6. You’ll notice that the mind will jump around and thoughts slip in as you continue to count your breath and gaze at the object. When you notice this happening, simply return your attention to the object, keep looking at your object and focused on your breathing, till the timer goes off.
7. Smile, sit still for a few more moments, noticing what you notice about your body, energy and mind state, give yourself a hug and pat on the back and slowly open your eyes.
Step Three: Remember To Repeat This Exercise
1. In this altered state, mentally scan your day and know that whatever comes up you can simply set your time and repeat this exercise.
Summary and Take Away Gift
Remember you matter, take-time during your day to schedule in two more minutes of this Moment of Calm Meditation because this will give you the inner strength, courage and resilience to keep positive and calm, despite all you do.
If you liked this post and feel your friends and work colleagues would benefit from practicing this three-step Guided Meditation, please share and like this post.
Thank you for your time andmMay your day be blessed with peace, abundance and calm.