Interview by Ceri Wheeldon
I read and the reviewed the first edition of The Second Half of Your Life shortly after launching the Fab after Fifty website. Well, Jill has now updated the book to provide women over over 50 with more inspiration and information to make the second half of life the best half!
In this video interview Jill shares her motivation for writing the book. She explains that it was essentially a springboard to open a dialogue about life after the menopause, and how the changes to the female brain due to hormones help to empower midlife women to be confident and successful in the second half of life.
Jill believes in the philosophy of ‘5 a Day’ for successful ageing:
1. Passion . You must have a passion in life that you follow for yourself.
2. Purpose. Doing something for others – for the community and the greater good.
3. Exercise. It keeps you strong. It keeps you active, it helps keep dementia at bay.
4. Nutrition. Throw away the packaged , plastic foods and follow a healthy diet
5. Stay connected – to the community, friends and family. Isolation is a major factor in premature ageing.
Of the ‘5 a Day’ Jill believes that avoiding isolation is the key priority to address first. It also the reason that Jill has set up a ‘Second Half Centre’ in London for women to connect. She is hoping to roll out more centres across the UK. All Jill’s profits from sales of The Second Half of Life book are being donated to the The Second Half of Life Foundation to support more centres.