Article by Ceri Wheeldon
We may get a little thicker around the middle once we reach our 50s, but with a few simple tricks we can look slimmer and fabulous in an instant!
- Think ‘illusion dress’ or column dressing and apply the same principle when putting together other outfits. An illusion dress tends to have a block of colour running straight down the centre, with a contrast colour to the sides, creating the illusion of a longer, slimmer body. Wear dark trousers and tops , or a dark dress with a bright colour longline flowing cardigan or jacket to create a similar slimmer ‘illusion ‘ look. Take inspiration from this Karen Millen dress from John Lewis
- Wear vertical stripes to draw the eye up the body and not across – an instant trick to look slimmer.
- Ruching and Pleats Disguise rounder tums with strategically placed ruching on dresses and tops. There are fabulous ruched and pleated dresses available online and on the high street.. This one from John Lewis would be fab for the office.
- Shoulder pads. Balance your silhouette with removable shoulder pads – your waist will look slimmer in an instant. Think subtle – we’re not looking for the 80s Dallas/Dynasty effect!
- Think fitted. You may be tempted to disguise any lumps and bumps by wearing something loose and baggy, but wearing something fitted to accentuate the best aspects of your figure can be instantly slimming.
- Have clothes altered to fit. If you are big busted, chances are that you will have extra fabric around your middle when wearing dresses- making your waist seem larger. Have clothes taken in – it’s amazing the difference some strategically placed darts can make!
- Pear shaped? Then look for flared or ‘A’ line skirts to accentuate your waist and minimise your hips.
- Look taller to look leaner! Wear heels – you don’t have to choose stilettos – there are some fabulous wedges to choose from too such as these from Moda in Pelle £69.95.
- Wear long , wide legged or palazzo trousers which skim over your high heeled shoes to create a longer, leggier look . Palazzo trousers from House of Fraser £31.99
- Shapewear – create a smooth silhouette with the right shapewear . I particularly like the longline shapewear slips that also allow you wear your own well fitted bra.