Interview by Ceri Wheeldon
Mark Heyes is a regular on our TV screens and has made over more than 3000 makeovers – he loves helping women to look and feel confident at every age!
I had the chance to meet up with Mark when he was showcasing his newest Ava collection for Marisota – this is what he had to say…
Where did your passion for style come from?
When I was 19 I started a Saturday job at Kookai in Glasgow- I loved helping women choose the clothes they looked best in. Soon customers were coming into the shop asking for ‘the young guy’ and next I was one of just three stylists working in Glasgow.
What do you think one of the biggest challenges to looking stylish over 50 is?
Lack of confidence. I work with a lot of women who are size 24 to 32 – the right underwear and tailoring can help everyone look fabulous. When it comes to style I think ‘give it a go!’
Tips for stylish dressing over 50
- Create a stylish silhouette – I love the John Ford cape dress that Gwyneth Paltrow wore recently. I’ve created a dress with a cape sleeve for my new AVA collection. Covering the upper arms does not necessarily mean wearing long sleeves.
- Never write off any shop in the high street – you could find your perfect buy in TopShop – don’ t be afraid to have a look. Shop aimed at younger customers tend to be more trend led – so styles are in the store more quickly – other stores tend to be great for tailoring and accessories.
- If you have lost weight in your 50s, you may have held on to clothes from before – one of the biggest mistakes women over 50 make is wearing their leather trousers from years before. Styling has changed, Far better to buy new – new ‘fake’ leather trousers are more current and easier to wear. The items to keep and see as investment dressing which don’t date are the classic accessories, good tailoring and jeans. little black dresses.
- It’s boobs OR legs – lower neckline generally means longer skirt. Very few women can get away with showing both and look good. I’m not saying women over 50 shouldn’t wear short skirts – far from it – but style them in the right way.
The 3 things every woman should have in her wardrobe:
- Jeans – a pair of well fitting jeans is a must
- Tailoring – a boyfriend blazer is a great addition to any wardrobe
- One key item from the current season. My best choice for this season would be a longline waistcoat – it can be worn in so many ways.
The fashion world is very fast paced. Buy a few key pieces each season to wear alongside your classic clothes.