Welcome to Fab after Fifty

At Fab after Fifty we are passionate about women over fifty making the best of their lives. There has never been a better time to be 50! We'd love you to join in the conversation. Be Seen. Be Heard. Don’t be invisible. Be Fab after Fifty!

Join Free Today!

Join Our Community Today

Join a community of like-minded women making the second half of life the best half! The Fab after Fifty community is all about informing, sharing and inspiring.

It’s always good to share with friends- old and new, so why not make yourself a cup of coffee or pour a glass of wine and join in the conversation.

Get Started!

Style

Check out our latest style tips and picks to look fabulous over 50!

It’s always good to share with friends- old and new, so why not make yourself a cup of coffee or pour a glass of wine and join in the conversation.

Style

Diet and Fitness

The latest in nutrition and fitness to be healthy over 50!

Diet & Fitness

Beauty

Tips to look best possible fabulous YOU!

Beauty

Career

Whether you're setting up a business or looking for employment, make sure you're marketable over 50

Career

Group Admins
  • Profile Photo
    Ceri Wheeldon

Health and Fitness

Public Group  |  active 4 months ago ago

Best diet or exercise programme for bingo wings? Tips for dealing with the menopause? Share your tips or ask the community their thoughts on how to be fit and healthy over 50

Motivating yourself to get fit?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Dianna Lloyd-Hughes 3 years, 3 months ago.

• Author
  • How do you motivate yourself to start exercising over 50 if you haven’t exercised for some time?

• Linda

said

Hi Ceri

I think the best motivation is to join a gym and try out the different classes but not to be to hard on yourself as dropping fitness levels appears to happen more quickly the older you get, so having patience and keeping going will start to provide results so the motivation comes from the changes to your fitness and body shape. Well at least it works for me.

Linda

• Robin

said

I have found that motivation is very personal. I was highly motivated to get more fit when I turned 50 because I suddenly realized that I was mortal. It sounds silly, but I just had not internalized that fact until I hit the mid century mark. Everyone has their own reason for wanting to get fit, but I think it has to be for yourself and not for the world around you. That probably sounds trite, but it actually works for the long haul.

• Hi Robin

When it comes to motivation,awakening to our own sense of mortality is a big reality check, but getting fit needs to be done properly and consider the elements we have as ladies, that set us physically apart from the fellas in exercising. They’re really important, like we don’t lower our bodyweight as efficiently as the blokes,so we need to lower ourselves in execise actions more slowly, plus we’re more susceptible to injury through sideways movements and we’re genetically inclined to be bow legged and need to watch for pulls and aches on the inside areas of our knees, whereas the blokes are genetically inclined to be knock-kneed! All this needs to be taken into consideration when you take exercise.

My boss Alan is a Biomechanist and he’s even got GPs as exercise clients, so I’m pretty jammy there! I’ve worked for him for over 20 years now and always listened to his guidance. I haven’t had the slightest glitch or injury in my own fitness stuff for at least 15 years now and I exercise quite a bit.

Just keep an eye on those bits I’ve mentioned Robin, like I always do

D x

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Courses (New!)

Follow Us

Why not become a fan on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, Youtube or Pinterest and enjoy our RSS feed.

Skip to toolbar