Below are some anti-ageing tips from Nicky Clarke who will be giving makeover tips at The Anti-Ageing Health and Beauty Show (see show details and reader offer below) and demonstrating how to style and care for your hair to help you look fantastic.
Anti-aging Hair Care
As you get older you will find that your hair starts to become naturally thin. Using a volumising product such as the Nicky Clarke Hair Raising when the hair is 90% dry and style as usual to give the hair a lift and more structure.
- Over-washing aging hair can strip away the lipids which boost shine and prevent breakage. This is often problematic as after menopause many people find that their scalps lipid count starts to drop. This is why it is so important to not wash your hair and not to play with it excessively. When washing your hair opt for a good quality Moisture Shampoo and Conditioner to bring all of those good nutrients to the hair.
- Your hair is the most fragile when it is wet as it is already stretched. Take extra care after washing it, de-tangle the hair with a wide-tooth comb while conditioning your hair which will make it so much easier to brush through and cause less breakage.
- Pop on a hair mask once a week to replenish lost moisture.
- Using heated appliances excessively and without care on a regular basis can make your hair feel dull, dry, frizzy and damaged. As we get older we find that our hair is more prone to damage caused from heat and therefore it is essential to invest in a good quality heat protection spray . The pressure from the heat causes the cuticles to crack causing split ends and leaving you with dry and brittle hair. Sprays such as the Nicky Clarke Heat Protect Shine Spray acts as a barrier against high temperatures, while the nutrients in the product leave the hair feeling supple, silky and shiny. Once you have applied the spray you now need to take into consideration your hair’s natural texture. The thinner the hair, the lower the temperature should be. Putting too much heat on very fine hair will just cause even more breakage.
How to Anti-age your look!
- Colour is a great anti-aging boost to the hair. Colour also protects the hair and creates stronger follicles. Colouring your hair in a shade that suits your skin tone and by softening your look with high or low lights, when done well, can knock years off of you. Grey hair can be very aging unless looked after and styled properly and block coloured hair can actually make you look older. Its all about finding the fight balance for you.
- The style. As you age, the skin on your face tends to loosen and your face appears longer. By having a style that gives you more body at the sides of your head, this can lift the face for it to appear younger.
Special Ticket Offer for Fabafterfifty.co.uk readers
Get 2 standard entry tickets for the price of 1 and pay just £18 (normally £36) or treat yourself to our VIP package for just £75 (normally £95). To claim your tickets, simply quote ‘Fab’ when booking at www.anti-ageingshow.com/tickets or call 0844 209 7323.
Discover how to keep looking fabulous, whatever your age at the Anti-Ageing Health & Beauty Show at London Olympia on 10th and 11th May 2014. Sample exciting new skincare products and cosmetics, hear celebrity speakers including Nicky Clarke , share their beauty secrets and gain practical tips from leading make-up and hair stylists. Experts in cosmetic treatments, skincare, lifestyle and beauty will be on hand to offer you professional advice to help you look and feel fantastic.