Looking for love at any age isn’t always easy, but it can be especially daunting when you’re fifty or over. You might not know where to start or how to meet people you’ll click with. This is particularly true when it comes to online dating, but don’t be quick to discard the idea of searching for love on the internet. It’s safe to say that by now you probably know someone who has found the love of their life online, so why shouldn’t it work for you too? Here are some online dating tips for mature daters to get you started.
1. Choose your online dating site wisely. There are hundreds of online dating sites on the internet, but it’s important to sign-up with one you feel best meets your needs. Are you looking for serious, long-term relationship or something more casual, like an activity partner? Are you open to dating people of all ages or would you only like to meet dates who are fifty or over? Most fifty or over daters have the best luck on dating sites specifically designed for mature dating, like We Love Dates Mature.
2. Use your profile to talk about the future, not about your past. At this stage in your life, you’ve probably already experienced true love, and are looking for a fresh start. Some mature daters find it hard to let go of their past completely and fill their online dating profiles with mentions of past loves and relationships, or the way things used to be. You might have never imagined that you’d be here-at fifty, looking for love online-but do your best to look ahead to an exciting future rather than focus on what you used to have in the past. Perhaps someone you meet online will never compare to the great love you’ve lost, but they might be exactly what you need right now.
Date online safely
3. Practice safe online dating. Online dating is perfectly safe as long as you take the necessary precautions. It’s always best to meet a date in a public place versus allowing them to come to your home, and avoid revealing too much identifying information (address, place of employment, etc) to someone until you’ve met them in person. Before going on a first online date, let someone know where you will be and who you will be with, and what time you should be back. While you can definitely take care of yourself and you might feel a bit silly, always remember that no matter how long you’ve emailed with someone online, until you meet them in person they are still a virtual stranger.
4. Search outside the box. Most online dating sites allow you to filter your search results by location, and many mature daters opt to look for dates in their own postal code only. If you’re willing to expand your search to include nearby cities, your chances for love will increase tenfold! A half an hour in the car seems a small price to pay to find the man you’ve been hoping for, right?
5. Have fun! Looking for love online should be fun! You never know who might send you a message or a wink, so don’t get discouraged if you don’t find love the first week you sign up. Take matters into your own hands as well-don’t be afraid to send messages to singles you find attractive or interesting, and make sure you reply to any emails you get-if you’d like to meet them, that is!
6. Say “yes” to a date! The ultimate goal of online dating is to help you find love offline. When you meet someone you like online, don’t hesitate to meet them in person. Sometimes we can email back and forth with a match for weeks, and feel like we have so much in common and so much chemistry, only to meet in person and have there be no connection whatsoever. It’s discouraging to waste so much time investing in someone for nothing. The best way to prevent this from happening is to go on as many first online dates as you can. Having a cup of coffee with someone for twenty minutes will tell you more about them than exchanging emails for two weeks will. First dates don’t need to be extravagant or ultra-romantic. Use online dating as your ice breaker, but don’t hide behind the computer!
Mature online dating is a great option for over fifty singles looking for love, friendship or just someone to go to the movies with every once in a while! We Love Dates Mature would love to help you meet that someone special!